Facilities and Services
Olympic-sized swimming pool/Kiddie pool
American Red Cross swimming instruction
Swim Team for children under age 17
5 Tennis courts
Tennis clinics for adults and juniors
Junior tennis league
Tennis tournaments for adults and juniors
Basketball, ping pong
Social events for adults, children, and families
Food & Beverages
Food and beverages will be confined to designated areas. Glass containers are not allowed in the pool area.
Please be sure to inform the snack bar of any allergies. We purchase our food from many vendors and can not guarantee that any product is free from specific allergens.
Members and their guests are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and placing refuse in containers provided.
Any disorderly behavior (running, ignoring instructions from a lifeguard, fighting, profanity, excessive use of alcoholic beverages) on club property is cause for disciplinary action. This may result in the loss of club privileges for those involved.
The Winchester Swim and Tennis Club, Inc. is not responsible for the loss or damage to personal property.
The annual open board meeting is typically held in August. The date, time, and location will be announced.
The club manager is responsible for all club operations: maintenance, housekeeping, employee and event scheduling, supervision of staff, safety, coordinating of activities to minimize conflict, and any other needed function.
The assistant club manager(s) provides assistance to the club manager and assumes the club manager’s responsibilities when the manager is unavailable.
Suggestions or complaints should be directed to the club manager. Members are asked not to direct their complaints or discuss club procedures with other staff. The manager may require that the suggestion or complaint be made in writing, and/or that an incident report be filed. Please be specific when stating any problem with club facilities. The manager may consult with the Board of Directors, or may take immediate action and inform the Board subsequently.
Club Rules & Regulations
These rules and regulations are established to provide a safe, enjoyable, professionally run club for our members and guests. Parents are responsible for their children and are asked to instruct them to observe all rules and regulations. The club manager and WSTC staff will enforce these rules and regulations. Violation may result in suspension of club privileges or termination of club membership. Any suggestions to modify these rules should be forwarded to the Board of Directors.
Membership & Guest Provisions
All members and their guests must register at the front desk before entering the pool area or tennis courts.
1. Children under the age of 10 are not allowed in the facility unless accompanied by a parent, guardian, or authorized sitter. An authorized sitter must be at least 12 years old and must supervise or accompany the child at all times.
2. Persons under 16 years of age are not permitted to use the club facilities after 6 PM unless accompanied by a parent, guardian, or authorized adult. (Updated 2016)
There is NO smoking on Club property.
Dogs are NOT allowed on Club property.
Membership Definition (Updated 2015)
A member is the adult and his or her spouse who originally applied for and was accepted into the WSTC. Membership dues must be paid in full by the date designated by the Board of Directors for that year. Member names will be published in the membership directory prepared each season. Each member shares with his/her spouse one vote for all appropriate club member business.
1. All children living at home, age 26 and under, are welcome to use the WSTC facilities and participate in junior programs. They are not considered members for the purposes of voting or participation in adult functions. This privilege does not extend to the spouse and /or children of any such adult, age 27 and over, living at the home of the WSTC member.
2. Parents of member, living in the home of the WSTC member, are welcome to use the WSTC at no charge.
3. Any adult child of an active member is welcome to join WSTC as a new member without waiting on the waiting list provided the active member’s membership dues/fees are current.
4. Babysitters are welcome at the WSTC if caring for the children of a member at the time. Such sitters must be known to the manager. A written note identifying the sitter must be on file at the front desk.
5. Any individual staying with a WSTC family on a student or cultural exchange program is welcome to use the WSTC. Any such individual must be known to the manager. A written note identifying him/her must be on file at the front desk.
Guest Policy For Pre-Season (Updated 2014)
For the safety of our members and guests and enjoyment of the membership, our guest policy is 2 guests per family, per day.
1. Members of the WSTC are welcome to bring guests to the club provided that:
A. Members are present while guests visit.
B. Members register their guests at the front desk.
C. Members pay guest fees as follows:
GUESTS ARE LIMITED TO 4 VISITS PER MONTH REGARDLESS OF THE HOST FAMILY!
1. House Guests (limited to 2 weeks): if you have a houseguest living with you, they are welcome to use the Club for $15/week for individuals; $30/week for families.
2. Properly registered guests are welcome to use club facilities according to the same rules and regulations that apply to members; however, only members are allowed to reserve tennis court time.
3. Members who bring tennis guests must sign in at the front desk and pay the appropriate fee.
1. Dues for 2017 are $1,250. Charter members pay half the annual dues.
2. Each member must, on admission to the WSTC, pay an initiation fee of $3,500. This fee is not refundable.
3. An inactive member will pay 50% of the annual dues for each year they are inactive, plus the full amount of any assessment. An inactive member may not use pool or tennis facilities, but may be re-activated upon his/her request at the beginning of the next calendar year.
4. A member in good standing is one who has paid all dues, fees, and penalties associated with the club.
Pool Rules & Regulations
1. All persons are requested to take a soap shower before entering the pool.
2. No running, ball playing, or unsafe play is allowed in the pool area.
3. For safety reasons, please limit talking with lifeguards on duty to rules explanation only.
4. An adult or authorized sitter (at least 12 years old) must accompany children using the small pool.
5. Guards may request that an adult more closely watch a child who appears to be unsafe in the water. Any child with a flotation device must have a parent, guardian, or authorized adult in the water with them at all times.
6. Only those children who are three years old or older and toilet trained are allowed to use the main pool.
7. Children must be 10 years old or older in order to use the club facility without parent, guardian, or authorized adult supervision. Those under the age of 10 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or authorized sitter, who must supervise the child at all times.
8. Persons under 16 years of age are not permitted to use the club facilities after 6 p.m. unless accompanied by a parent, guardian, or authorized adult.
9. No one is allowed to use the deep end unless he/she has passed the deep end test.
10. Children must be over 6 years of age to take the deep end test.
11. Children between the ages of 6 and 12 must pass the deep end test annually.
12. Extreme caution must be used when using the deep end area.
13. No person with a communicable disease will be allowed to use the pool.
14. Food and drink must be confined to designated areas. Glass containers are not allowed in the pool area.
15. Only approved flotation devices may be used.
16. Adult swim times will be posted at the club OR will be determined by the management and lifeguard(s) on duty, subject to a review of the pool usage.
17. During adult swim time, the diving board is available for children who have passed the deep end test. The lap lane is available for adult use during non-adult swim times.
18. Only approved water paraphernalia may be used in the pool.
19. Contraband including bottles, cans, balls, etc. will not be allowed in the pool.
20. Swim at your own risk.
21. Spray-On Sunscreen (New for 2015) The use of spray-on sunscreen causes permanent staining and is prohibited on club property.
Small Pool Rules
1. There is no lifeguard on duty.
2. Children must be supervised at all times by his/her parent, guardian, or authorized sitter.
3. No food is allowed in the small pool area.
4. Locker rooms must be used for changing diapers.
5. Small pool is to be used by children ages 5 and younger.
Back Lawn Rules
The back lawn may be used for small gatherings, subject to consideration of the board and the club manager. Gatherings such as birthday parties shall be limited to one party per day for a 2-hour limit. The 2-hour time limit applies to the use of the back yard area. The maximum number of party participants will be 20, including WSTC members (adult chaperones included). There is a $5 per person guest fee for non-members. All birthday parties MUST be scheduled with the WSTC Club Manager – no exceptions.
Court reservations can be made only by a member
Open from 8:00 am until 9:00 pm
All players must register at the front desk
Proper dress is required
A. Court Use
1. Courts are available from 8:00 a.m. until dusk, when weather permits. As a courtesy to the club’s neighbors, tennis is not allowed before 8:00 a.m. or after dusk.
2. All members must sign in at the front desk before playing. Members are responsible for registering their guests and paying guest fees.
3. During “prime time” hours, members age 16 or older may reserve Courts 1-4. Both juniors (under 16) and adults may reserve Court 5. Prime time is defined as:
Daily- 5:00 pm – Dusk
Sat, Sun, Holiday – all day
Juniors must relinquish Courts 1-4 during “prime time” if requested to do so by an adult member. Juniors may, however, play with an adult member of their own family during “prime time.”
4. Only smooth-soled tennis shoes are allowed for play on the courts. All players must wear tennis attire and shirts. No bathing suits are allowed.
5. Lessons will be given on courts 1 and 5. Use of more than 3 balls is allowed on these courts only when court 5 is not being used by the Tennis Pro or assistants and the other courts are in use. Tennis play has priority over backboard use. Large clinics may use Courts 2, 3, and 4.
6. For private lessons and non-scheduled clinics, pros and members share use based on a first come, first use of courts, by signing up at the front desk. No more than 4 courts shall be used for lessons and clinics at any given time.
7. During the off-season, from November 1 to April 1, the courts will be locked and the nets taken down. From April 1 to the opening of the WSTC, and from Club closing to November 1, non-members are not allowed to use the courts unless playing with a member or with approval of the Board of Directors. During the season, non-members are allowed to use the courts as per the WSTC guest policy.
B. Tennis Court Reservations
1. The Court Reservation Book will be available at the front desk between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. every day during the WSTC season. Because of high interest, courteous use of the courts is necessary in order for all members to be able to play.
2. Reservation sheets are available for a 7 day period in the court reservation book which is located at the front desk.
3. Each club family may reserve up to 2 court periods in any 7 day period. The second reservation may not be made until the first time has been played.
4. Court times:
Singles 1.0 hours
Doubles 1.5 hours
If doubles reservation is used for singles, the last ½ hour is cancelled.
5. A member of the club must make advanced reservations in person; however, reservations made within 24 hours of play may be made by phone.
6. A reservation must be used by at least one member of the club reserving the court. Reservation privileges are not transferable between families.
7. If a member of the reserving family and at least one other player have not reported or signed in by 10 minutes past the reservation time, the reservation will be cancelled and the court reassigned. A waiting list will be maintained at the front desk for purposes of reassigning cancelled courts. Discretion will be used in order to assign these fairly.
8. Block reservations (more than one court) may be made only for functions approved by the Club Manager.
By-Laws of the Winchester Swim and Tennis Club, Inc.
Provisions of the Agreement of Association Made Controlling
The name, location of principle officers, and purposes of the club shall be as set forth in the Agreement of Association; and these by-laws, the powers of the club, and of its directors and members, and all matters concerning the conduct and regulation of the business of the club, shall be subject to such provisions in regard thereto, if any, as are set forth in the agreement of Association; and the Agreement of Association is hereby made part of these by-laws.
All references in these by-laws to the Agreement of Association shall be construed to mean the Agreement of Association of the club as from time to time amended.
The members of the club shall be the signers of the Agreement of Association of the club and such other persons, as may from time to time be elected as members of the club by the Board of Directors, or by the admissions committee, if the Board of Directors, or by the admissions committee, if the Board of Directors shall authorize the admissions committee to elect members.
The classes of membership, and the privileges and obligations of holders of memberships, shall be from time to time fixed by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall likewise prescribe conditions for the posting or publication of the names of persons proposed for membership.
The Board of Directors, by a vote of at least 2/3 of the entire board, may suspend or expel any member of the club who, on his/her application for membership, has concealed facts which, in the opinion of at least 2/3 of the entire board, if known, would have resulted in denial of the application for membership.
The Board of Directors, by a vote of at least 2/3 of the entire board, may reinstate a suspended or expelled member.
There shall be such kinds and amounts of fees and dues as the Board of Directors may, by a vote of at least 2/3 of the entire board, waive or remit any entrance fee or dues in any case deemed by the Board of Directors to be special.
Meetings of Members
The annual meeting of the members shall be held in Winchester, Massachusetts, in October of each year, at such place, day, and hour as may be specified in the notice of the meeting. Purposes for which an annual meeting is to be held, additional to those prescribed by law or by these by-laws, may be specified by a vote of the Board of Directors, or by writing signed by the President or by a majority of the directors.
A special meeting of members may be called at any time by the President, or by two or more directors, or by twenty or more members entitled to vote at the meeting, and may be held at such time, not earlier than twenty days after the date of such call, and at such place within Winchester, Massachusetts, as may be specified in the call. Such call shall state the time, place, and purposes of the meeting.
A written notice of each meeting of the members, stating the place, day, and hour thereof, and the purposes for which the meeting is to be held, shall be given by the Secretary, or, if the Secretary shall fail or refuse to give such notice, by any other officer, at least seven days before the meeting to each member by mail, addressed to him/her at the last known address. No notice of the time, place, or purpose of any annual or special meeting of the members, shall be required, if every member entitled to vote at such meeting, is present or represented by proxy thereat.
At the meeting of the members, twenty of the members either present or represented thereat, entitled to vote, shall constitute a quorum for the consideration of any question that may properly come before such meeting, but a less number may adjourn such meeting from time to time and the meeting may be held, as adjourned, without further notice. When a quorum is present at any meeting, a majority of the members entitled to vote, present or represented thereat, shall, except where a larger vote is required by law, or by these by-laws, decide any question properly brought before such meeting.
Voting and Proxies
Each member shall have one vote. Members may either vote in person, or by proxy in writing, dated not more than six months before the meeting named therein, which shall be filed with the meeting or any adjournment thereof, before being voted. Such proxies shall entitle the holders thereof to vote at any adjournment of such meeting, but shall not be valid after the adjournment of such meeting.
Board of Directors
There shall be not fewer than four nor more than eight directors, who shall be chosen from persons nominated, as provided in Article XI hereof, at the annual meeting of the members, or at any special meeting held in place thereof by the members present or represented thereat. The President, Treasurer, and Secretary of the club, while in office as such, shall also be directors. At the first meeting of the incorporators, six directors shall be elected, three to hold office until the first annual meeting of members, and each until his successor is chosen and qualified, subject to law, to the Agreement of Association, and to the other provisions of these by-laws.
The number of elected directors for each corporate year shall be fixed at any even number within the limits above specified, at the meeting at which directors are elected. The members may, at any special meeting held for the purpose during any such year, increase or decrease, to any even number within said limits, the number of elected directors as thus fixed. In the event that the number of elected directors should be changed at any meeting, directors shall be elected, from persons nominated as provided in Article XI thereof, or removed so that one half of the number of elected directors so fixed shall be elected to hold office until the annual meeting of members next following such meeting, and one half of such number shall be elected to hold office until the second annual meeting to follow such meeting; each director so elected to hold office until his/her successor is chosen and qualified, subject in each case to law, to the Agreement of Association, and to these by-laws.
Elected directors shall be members of the club; and if the membership of an elected director terminates for any reason, his/her term of office as director shall end thereupon.
Powers of Directors
The Board of Directors shall have and may exercise all of the powers of the club, except such as are conferred upon the members of the club by law, or expressly by the Agreement of Association, or by these by-laws, and may exercise such powers itself or by such officers or agents as it may authorize or appoint.
Board of Directors’ Meetings
Regular meetings of the Board of Directors may be held without call or formal notice, at such places and at such times as the board may by vote from time to time determine. A regular meeting of the Board of Directors may be held without call or formal notice, immediately after and at the same place, as the annual meeting or special meeting of the members.
Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be held at any time and at any place when called by the President, Treasurer, or two or more directors, reasonable notice thereof being given to each director by the Secretary, or, in the case of death, absence, incapacity, or refusal of the Secretary, by the officer or directors calling the meeting; or at any time without call or formal notice, provided all the directors are present or waive notice thereof, by writing which is filled with the records of the meeting. In any case, it shall be deemed sufficient notice to a director to send notice by mail at least forty-eight hours, or by telegram at least twenty-four hours before the meeting, addressed to him/her at his/her usual or last known business or resident address.
Except as otherwise provided by law, by the Agreement of Association, or by these by-laws, any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the directors, may be taken without a meeting, if a written assent thereto is signed by all the directors, and such written assent is filed with the minutes of the directors. Such assent shall be treated as a vote for all purposes.
Quorum of the Board of Directors
A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, except as provided in Article VII, but less number may adjourn any meeting from time to time, and the meeting may be held as adjourned without further notice. When a quorum is present at any meeting, a majority of the members in attendance thereat shall, except where a larger vote is required by law, by the Agreement of Association or by these by-laws, decide any question brought before such meeting.
Officers and Committees
The officers shall be a President, a Treasurer, a Secretary, and such other officers as the Board of Directors may in its discretion appoint. The President, Treasurer, and Secretary shall also be directors, and shall be chosen from persons nominated, as provided in Article XI below, at the annual meeting of the members, or at any special meeting held in place thereof, by the members present or represented thereat. Each officer shall office until the next annual meeting of members and until his/her respective successor is chosen and qualified, subject to law, to the Agreement of Association, and to the other provisions of these by-laws. No person may hold more than one of the offices named above, but subject thereto and so far as permitted by law, any two or more offices may be held by the same person. Each officer shall subject to these by-laws, have in addition to the duties and powers herein set forth, such duties and powers as are commonly incident to his/her office, and such duties and powers as the Board of Directors may from time to time designate.
The President shall: be the chief executive officer of the club, except as otherwise voted by the Board of Directors, preside at all meetings of the members and of the Board of Directors at which he/she is present, and have custody of the treasurer’s bond.
Any Vice-President shall have such powers as the Board of Directors shall from time to time designate.
The Secretary shall keep the Agreement of Association, an attested copy of the Articles of Organization, and articles in amendment of said agreement or of said articles, and of these by-laws, with a reference on the margin of these by-laws, with a reference on the margin of these by-laws to all amendments thereof, and a true record of all meetings of the members and directors in a book to be kept therefore, which shall be open at all reasonable times to the inspection of any member or director. In the absence of the Secretary at any such meeting, a temporary secretary shall be chosen, who shall record the proceedings of such meeting in the aforesaid book. The Secretary shall also keep, or cause to be kept, at an office of the club, in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, a complete list of all members and their addressed for the inspection of the members.
The Treasurer shall, subject to the direction and under the supervision of the Board of Directors, have general charge of the financial concerns of the club, and the care and custody of the funds and valuable papers of the club, except his/her own bond. He/She shall have power to endorse for deposit or collection all notes, checks, drafts, and other obligations for the payment of money payable to the club or its order, and to accept drafts on behalf of the club. He/She shall keep, or cause to be kept, accurate books of account, which shall be the property of the club. If required by the Board of Directors, he/she shall give bond for the faithful performance of his/her duty in such form, in such sum, and with such sureties as the Board of Directors shall require.
Any assistant treasurer shall have such powers as the Board of Directors shall from time to time designate.
The committees shall be: an Admissions Committee, a Nominating Committee, and any other such committees as the Board of Directors may establish. Any such other committee shall be composed of such number of persons, appointed or chosen in such manner, and shall have such powers and duties as the Board of Directors may determine, provided that no other rule or regulation, adopted or proposed, or any fee or other charge imposed, by any such other committee shall take effect, unless and until it shall have been approved by the Board of Directors. Vacancies in the membership of any committee, however occurring, shall be filled by the Board of Directors or by the President, as the case may be.
The Admissions Committee shall be composed of such number of members as the Board of Directors shall from time to time determine, and shall be appointed annually by the Board of Directors at its first meeting following each annual meeting of members special meeting held in place thereof. The chairman and at least one fifth of the other members of the Admissions Committee shall be directors. The Admission Committee may, if the Board of Directors shall so authorize, establish requirements and procedures for applications received. If the Board of Directors shall authorize, the Admissions Committee may elect persons as members of the club to such number and upon such conditions, as the Board of Directors shall from time to time determine.
The Nominating Committee shall be composed of five members, shall be appointed annually by the President, with approval of the Board of Directors, within one month after the first meeting of the Board of Directors, following the annual meeting of members or special meeting held in place thereof. The chairman of the Nominating Committee shall be a director who is not an officer, and the other members shall neither be directors nor officers. The nominating committee shall nominate candidates for election as directors and as President, Treasurer, and Secretary at all meetings of members held for the purpose of such elections. Such nominations shall be set forth in writing filed with the Secretary not later than ten days prior to the date on which a meeting for the election of directors or officers is to be held and shall be presented to such meeting.
Nominations for Election as Directors or Officers
Candidates for election as directors, President, Treasurer, and Secretary of the club shall be nominated by the nominating committee, as provided in Article X, and may be nominated by members from the floor at the meeting at which the election is held, provided that no nomination by a member from the floor shall be valid, unless the name of such nominee shall have been set forth in writing, signed by not less than seven members, and filed with the Secretary, not less than ten days prior to the date of the meeting at which an election is to be held. The names of the nominees shall be set forth, indicating as to each nominee whether he/she is proposed by the nominating committee or by members pursuant to this article.
The members may, at any meeting called for the purpose, by vote of the majority of the entire number of members, remove from office any director or any officer, chosen by the members, and elect his/her successor. The Board of Directors may likewise, by vote of a majority of its entire number, remove from office any officer or agent of the corporation appointed by it.
If the office of any director, officer, or agent, one or more, becomes vacant by reason of death, resignation, removal, disqualification, or otherwise, the remaining directors, though less than a quorum, may choose by a majority vote of their entire number, a successor or successors, who shall hold office for the unexpired term, subject to the provisions of these by-laws.
The seal of the club shall, subject to alteration by the Board of Directors, consists of a flat-faced circular die, with the words “Massachusetts” and “Corporate Seal”, together with the name of the club and the year of its organization cut or engraved thereon.
Execution of Papers
Except as the Board of Directors may generally, or in particular cases, authorize the execution thereof in some other manner, all deeds, leases, transfers, contracts, bonds, notes, checks, drafts, and other obligations made, accepted, or endorsed by the club, shall be signed by the President or the Treasurer.
Compensation for Services
No officer or director of the club, who is a member of the club, shall receive any compensation from the club for his/her services as such officer or director, but may be reimbursed for his/her reasonable expenses actually and necessarily incurred in performing his/her duties as such. The Board of Directors may fix the compensation of other officers and agents in such amounts, or at such rates, as it shall deem just and reasonable, commensurate with the services rendered.
Conflict of Interest
No dealing, contract, or arrangement, entered into by, or on behalf of the club, shall be avoided, or involve any liability for an accounting to the club or otherwise, by reason of the interest therein of any officer, director, or member of the club, either personally, or by reason of his connection with, it interest in, any other corporation or organization interested in any such dealing, contract, or arrangement; provided that the fact of such interest therein of any such officer or director, acting thereon (though not necessarily the nature or extent of such interest) shall first be disclosed or known to the Board of Directors or a disinterested majority thereof.
No alcoholic beverages shall be sold or served on, or within, any premises owned or occupied by the club. This article may not be amended, modified, repealed, revoked, or stricken out, except by affirmative vote of eighty percent (80%) of the entire number of members cast at a meeting held for the purposes, and upon the recommendation of all the directors in office.
Except as, from time to time, otherwise provided by the Board of Directors, the fiscal year of the club shall end on September 30 of each year.
Except, as otherwise provided in Article XVII, any of these by-laws may be altered, amended, or repealed by a majority of the members of the club, at any meeting called for the purpose, of which the notice shall specify the subject matter of the proposed alteration, amendment, or repeal of the article(s) to be affected thereby.